Thursday, October 18, 2007

Damn It Jim

Trying to decide on a baby name has been a little difficult, since we still have not decided. Note that we already had a boys name picked out and due to this fact is the main reason we are having a girl. But as I was discussing Baby Names in the other post, I started typing and got a little carried away for that post. So I create a second post. I started thinking that we cannot name our baby with a very common name and this is why:

First, I don’t know how many times I turn to see if someone is trying to get my attention. Whether it is for me or not, it probably averages out to 5 times a day. Why, because my name is officially James. And how many other people are also names James. Well there is 5,032,038 in the US alone and that does not include variations. To see where you rank see the on link in the “useless-information-i-lost-count” post. My current group of co-workers named James is 43% of us, or 3 out of 7.

And last, during my 30 years of experience I have heard it all Jimmy, Jim Bob, Jimbo, Jimmy dean, and the usually from trekies “damn it Jim, I’m just a doctor” in bones voice. The best is saved for last, a professor of mine called (accidentally) by 1st half of my last name instead of Jim, and used Jim with the second part of my last name.

In other words, people stop the madness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad Jim, we're due next week and we still don't have a name picked out!
Raquel