Thursday, October 18, 2007

Baby Names

Once finding out Shell was pregnant, we started thinking of possible names. Now my initial thoughts were:

A) No very common names. I started writing this part of the post and determined my thoughts took too much time away from the subject above. So see the “Damn It Jim” post.

2) No funny names. Everyone has experience hearing a name and responded by saying something in the lines of (out loud or to yourself) “damn his/her parents are seriously messed up” or “ boy his/her parents didn’t like them very much.” I knew a girl through out school that was named Grevela. Now I’m not sure if I spelled that right but it was pronounced GRA-V-LA

3rd) I don’t care too much about the meaning. But there has to be a point where you have to not choose a name since it would just be bad luck to start out in life that way.

No need to expand on A) above, but here are some examples I came across in searches:

Examples of 2)
Oh course there are the 3 celebrity babies - Apple, Camera, Zola Ivy
Then there are colors - Blue, Indigo, Red, Teal
Rupinder (roo PIN der) - Sanskrit for Superlatively beautiful.

Examples of 3rd)
Mara - Hebrew for Bitter
Cecelia - Latin for Blind
Porsche - Latin for Pig
Brutus - Latin for Stupid
Baya - Swahili for Ugly Girl
Weeko - Native American for Sexually Transmitted Disease

No comments: