Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Weird News

It has been awhile since I made a post concerning the Weird World News, but there was a couple of stories I could not pass up.

- In a Pittsburgh supermarket this last weekend, a man was seeking to use a $1 million bill.

The particular act is not what is weird for me, it is the frequency. I swear this is the 5th of 6th time I have seen this headline in the last couple of years. I’m amazed that people think that this will work. Okay lets even go beyond the first question, say that there is a slim chance in hell that this will work. My next stupid question would be, do they a think the store has enough money onsite to change the bill? Now is this make believe world lets go 1 further step. Say for some reason a supermarket in Pittsburg does have that much money to give change for this bill. Depending how much they are buying , but lets say a $1,000. Was this guy expecting 9,990 $100 dollar bills. Maybe this is why I am not a criminal, I think way too much and have no faith that any of these cons will work.

- Somewhere is Missouri, a man accused of stealing a doughnut could be spend 30 years in jail. This man slipped a doughnut into his shirt and then pushed away the clerk who tried to stop him as he left the store. The push is being treated as minor assault, which transforms a misdemeanor shoplifting charge to strong-armed robbery. This charge alone has a potential prison term of 5 to 15 years, but with this man’s criminal history the prosecutors say they could seek 30 years.

Tough call, is 52 cent doughnut worth 30 years in jail? It must have been one hell of a doughnut. Isn't Springfield supposedly in Missouri. I have the feeling that this will become a Simpsons episode where Homer goes to jail for stealing a doughnut. Or... maybe it basically has already been done.

No comments: