Tuesday, October 30, 2007

College Mascots

The other day I was reading the sports page online. After finishing one article, for some reason still unapparent to me, but I decided to see who ISU was playing. I selected the division AA football schedule for the weekend and as I was scrolling down, I noticed that each college mascot was included. Now most of these schools had a mascot that I have heard of before, but there were a few that I haven’t. Like the following: Murray State Racers, Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks, Western Kentucky Hilltoppers, and Albany Great Danes

Then there were a few that were a little weird to me or made me question “what the hell is a _____”:

Chattanooga Mocs - Short for Moccasins. If I ever become a founder of a college, the mascot is going to be either the Steel Toes or the Tennis Runners.

Coastal Carolina Chanticleers - I had to look up Chanticleers, which is a chicken. By the way Wikipedia has all of these, and some with pictures. Boy that is one mean looking chicken.



South Dakota State Jackrabbits - Now I thought mascots were suppose to represent a desired quality in your group, usually a figure that has a characteristics of power, strength, bravery, etc... Not to offend anyone for South Dakota State or the jackrabbits, but what in the hell are the jackrabbits majestic qualities. A see a small animal that are easy to pick off. The only thing I could think is the stupid symbol of good luck, but that is only a foot and not the entire rabbit. This is even worse than the chicken, but maybe it is me.
Western Illinois Leathernecks - My initial vision is a football game with large group of energized fans in the stands with the cheerleaders up front leading them in rooting for their team, when leather face (Texas Chainsaw Massacre) shows up with a chainsaw instead of a guy in a chicken suit. If you want your scare your opponents as well as your own supporters, job well done.

No comments: