Tuesday, January 23, 2007

SUNNY DAY

I know that this is a new record for me, two posts within a month. Let’s just hope I can keep this up or maybe even break my record.

Since returning to Iceland, I have been a little down. I believe that there are several reasons I’m in this bad mood, which mainly is just recently leaving home AGAIN, and celebrating my 1 year anniversary of being in Iceland. But I also believe that lack of sun for so long is a major reason.

Being this far North makes the days very short in the winter and the majority of the time it is overcast, especially in this area. But here in Reydarfjordur there is no chance for any sun from mid October to mid March. The elevations of the mountains surrounding the village are very high and with sun not rising very high on the horizon, results in no sun. It is so bad that every year they the locals even throw a huge party every year when this period is over, at least this is what I heard since I was home for 2 weeks last year. Now the locals recommend a diet rich with fish to help out with through this periods. Now I have already eaten more fish this year than I have my whole life. So I say NO THANK YOU. I had another solution:






GO TO WHERE THE SUN IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On top of the mountain. I know there is a better place to go, somewhere away from Iceland, but it was the best I could do.
Even though it was freezing and the snow kind of sucked for snowboarding, it was well worth the trip.

2 comments:

YMMV said...

There is a third option: bring the sun to you. Be careful when hiking up those mountains to get near the sun, you may end up like Icarus and find yourself in mortal peri

YMMV said...

Find yourself in mortal peril, that is. Don't know why it cut off.